- 9-3/4 to 10-1/4 cups bread flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped candied lemon peel
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- In a large bowl, combine 9-1/4 cups flour, sugar and yeast. In a large saucepan, heat the milk, yogurt, butter and water to 120°-130°; stir in vanilla and lemon peel. Add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg yolks, eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into loaves. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Candied Lemon Christmas Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p139
Reviews for Candied Lemon Christmas Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review