Candied Jalapenos & Garlic Recipe
- 1 pound jalapeno peppers (about 16), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced garlic cloves (about 4 bulbs)
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seed
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cayenne pepper, minced, optional
- 1. Pack jalapenos and garlic into three hot 1-pint jars to within 1/2 in. of the top. In a large saucepan, bring sugar, vinegar, seasonings and, if desired, cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- 2. Carefully ladle hot liquid over pepper mixture, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 3. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 3 pints.
2 tablespoons: 10 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, trace fiber), trace protein
Reviews for Candied Jalapenos & Garlic
"Not quite what I excepted. It is like pickles made from peppers. I left out the cayenne and there wasn't much heat without it"