Candied Holly Cupcakes
My mother often made these fruity spice cupcakes. Decorated with cherries and citron, they're so festive for Christmas.
Pam Goodlet, Washington Island, Wisconsin
18 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cherry jam or flavor of your choice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied cherries
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied orange peel
- 2 cups prepared vanilla frosting
- 9 candied cherries, halved
- 18 green citron pieces or green candied pineapple pieces, cut into strips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda and spices; add to
- creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each
- addition. Stir in the jam, pecans, cherries and orange peel.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for
- 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10
- minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.