- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cherry jam or flavor of your choice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied cherries
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied orange peel
- 2 cups prepared vanilla frosting
- 9 candied cherries, halved
- 18 green citron pieces or green candied pineapple pieces, cut into strips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in the jam, pecans, cherries and orange peel.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. Decorate with cherries for holly berries and citron for leaves. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Candied Holly Cupcakes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p75
Reviews for Candied Holly Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review