Candied Fruitcake Squares Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups chopped dates
- 3/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 3/4 cup chopped red candied cherries
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1. Line an 8-in. square baking dish with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides of pan; grease and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dates, pineapple and cherries; toss to coat. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, brown sugar and vanilla until blended; stir into fruit mixture. Stir in pecans. Press firmly into prepared baking dish.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top is golden. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Using parchment paper, transfer to a wire rack. Remove paper; cool fruitcake completely.
- 4. Using a serrated knife, cut into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews for Candied Fruitcake Squares
"quick and easy, and not too sugary. I used apricots, pineapple, and cranberries. I had to stop myself from devouring everything that didn't go to friends. Seems like they would freeze well, as stated in the magazine."
"I made these this afternoon, and they have definitely replaced my fruit cake loaves. They are VERY good."
"I like fruitcake, but loved these. So easy to make. They only use a minimal amount of sugar and flour, and the rest is the fruit and the pecans. I used the mixed fruits for fruit cake in place of the pineapple and cherries so it presents very colorful. Great recipe and will add to my yearly list of Xmas cookies. I have frozen them and hope they hold up well.( I had to so I wouldn't eat them all)"