Candied Fruitcake Squares
Even people who don't like traditional fruitcake ask for this recipe. — Nancy Johnson, Laverne, Oklahoma
64 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups chopped dates
- 3/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 3/4 cup chopped red candied cherries
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Line an 8-in. square baking dish with parchment paper, letting ends
- extend up sides of pan; grease and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the
- dates, pineapple and cherries; toss to coat. In a small bowl, whisk
- the egg, brown sugar and vanilla until blended; stir into fruit
- mixture. Stir in pecans. Press firmly into prepared baking dish.
- Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in
- center comes out clean and top is golden. Cool in pan for 10
- minutes. Using parchment paper, transfer to a wire rack. Remove
- paper; cool fruitcake completely.
- Using a serrated knife, cut into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight