Even people who don't like traditional fruitcake ask for this recipe. — Nancy Johnson, Laverne, Oklahoma
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups chopped dates
- 3/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 3/4 cup chopped red candied cherries
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Line an 8-in. square baking dish with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides of pan; grease and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dates, pineapple and cherries; toss to coat. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, brown sugar and vanilla until blended; stir into fruit mixture. Stir in pecans. Press firmly into prepared baking dish.
- Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top is golden. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Using parchment paper, transfer to a wire rack. Remove paper; cool fruitcake completely.
- Using a serrated knife, cut into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Candied Fruitcake Squares in Taste of Home October/November 2012, p50
Reviews for Candied Fruitcake Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review