Candied-Fruit Hot Cross Buns Recipe
My family looks forward to my mom's hot cross buns every year. She's a wonderful lady and cook who makes our holidays memorable.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Stir in the butter, eggs, sugar and salt. Combine 3 cups flour, candied fruit and cinnamon; add to yeast mixture and mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; shape into 2-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Using a sharp knife, cut a cross on top of each bun. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over buns. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; pipe an "X" on top of each bun. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 163 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC