- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Stir in the butter, eggs, sugar and salt. Combine 3 cups flour, candied fruit and cinnamon; add to yeast mixture and mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into 2-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Using a sharp knife, cut a cross on top of each bun. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg yolk and water; brush over buns. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; pipe an "X" on top of each bun. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Candied-Fruit Hot Cross Buns
Sort By :
"i'm not good with yeast recipes- can this be started with a pre -made bread dough and then finished as in the recipe - please help my father loves hot cross buns!"
"Very moist roll and festive. Flavor was perfect. For once, I didnt do any customizing and they were great."
"These were amazing!I made them today and happily, they turned out and are wonderful!Perfect treat for Good Friday!"