Candied Cherry Nut Bars
Every year at Christmas, my mother and I would make dozens of cookies, including this favorite. Now all the women in my family get together for a baking bonanza, rotating houses each year.
Barbara Wilson, Thamesville, Ontario
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups salted mixed nuts
- 1-1/2 cups halved green and red candied cherries
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1/3 cup brown sugar; cut in butter
- until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a lightly greased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or
- until set.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, salt and remaining brown sugar until
- blended. Stir in the nuts, cherries and chocolate chips. Spoon
- evenly over crust.
- Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until topping is set. Cool on a wire
- rack before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 145 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 119 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.