Candied Cherry Nut Bars Recipe
Every year at Christmas, my mother and I would make dozens of cookies, including this favorite. Now all the women in my family get together for a baking bonanza, rotating houses each year. —Barbara Wilson, Thamesville, Ontario
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups salted mixed nuts
- 1-1/2 cups halved green and red candied cherries
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and 1/3 cup brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until set.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the egg, salt and remaining brown sugar until blended. Stir in the nuts, cherries and chocolate chips. Spoon evenly over crust.
- 3. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until topping is set. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 145 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 119 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC