Canadian Meat Pie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and water; toss lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef, pork, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in seasonings; heat through.
- 3. On a floured surface, roll out one portion of dough. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Spoon filling into crust. Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Seal and flute edges. Brush pastry with milk; cut slits in top.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown, covering edges loosely with foil if necessary. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 480 calories, 32g fat (9g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 643mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Canadian Meat Pie
"I made this pie for the first time and it turned out pretty well. The only thing I would do differently is perhaps make some gravy to go with the meat; as prepared, I felt the pie was a little too dry. On the upside, the crust is TO DIE FOR. Flaky and delicious; in fact, I will be using the pie crust for other pies, as well."
"this sounds like my mother-in-law old recipe for gorton ? not sure of spelling!"