Canadian Meat Pie Recipe
This hearty meat pie has a filling seasoned with a tasty combination of herbs and spices and is topped with a flaky golden crust. Called tourtiere, it's a dish traditionally served by French Canadians following mid-night Mass on Christmas Eve.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and water; toss lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, pork, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in seasonings; heat through.
- On a floured surface, roll out one portion of dough. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Spoon filling into crust. Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Seal and flute edges. Brush pastry with milk; cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown, covering edges loosely with foil if necessary. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Canadian Meat Pie in Taste of Home December/January 2000, p39
Reviews for Canadian Meat Pie(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 22, 2008
this sounds like my mother-in-law old recipe for gorton ? not sure of spelling!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >