Canadian Cheese Soup Recipe
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, trimmed and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. With a potato masher, mash vegetables several times. Add bacon; continue to simmer.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Add vegetable mixture, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; add cheese and pepper. Stir just until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium chicken broth, margarine, skim milk and low-fat cheese) equals 2 meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable; also, 252 calories, 402 mg sodium, 33 mg cholesterol, 22 gm carbohydrate, 19 gm protein, 11 gm fat.