Canadian Cheese Soup Recipe
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, trimmed and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. With a potato masher, mash vegetables several times. Add bacon; continue to simmer.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Add vegetable mixture, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; add cheese and pepper. Stir just until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 252 calories, 11g fat (0 saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 402mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Canadian Cheese Soup
"when i first made this recipe from the magazine, i didn't know that Americans called peameal "Canadian bacon" so i just used regular bacon and it turned out very well! love how simple it is!"
"I had expected the Canadian bacon to really stand out in this soup. Instead it came off more as just sort of a ho-hum vegetable cheese soup...not bad but we didn't find it in any way exceptional."
"i would give it 5 stars,simple to make and tastes very good,simple and delicios i say."