Canadian Cheese Soup Recipe
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, trimmed and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. With a potato masher, mash vegetables several times. Add bacon; continue to simmer.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Add vegetable mixture, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; add cheese and pepper. Stir just until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Canadian Cheese Soup(3)
Sort By :
when i first made this recipe from the magazine, i didn't know that Americans called peameal "Canadian bacon" so i just used regular bacon and it turned out very well! love how simple it is!
I had expected the Canadian bacon to really stand out in this soup. Instead it came off more as just sort of a ho-hum vegetable cheese soup...not bad but we didn't find it in any way exceptional.
i would give it 5 stars,simple to make and tastes very good,simple and delicios i say.