Canadian Bacon Potato Soup
"Canadian bacon adds a hint of smoky flavor to this hearty soup that my husband loves," writes Cheryl Morgan from her home in Dover, Minnesota. "It doesn't have the typical butter and heavy cream you'll find in many potato soups, but it's still rich and satisfying."
7 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 5 slices (3 ounces) Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1 package butter-flavored granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 7 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1/3 cup minced chives
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute
- onions until tender. Add potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are very
- tender. Set aside 1 cup potato mixture.
- Puree remaining mixture in batches in a blender or food processor;
- return to the pan. Stir in the milk, Canadian bacon, butter-flavored
- granules, salt, pepper and reserved potato mixture. Heat through (do
- not boil). Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream;
- sprinkle with chives. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 156 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 609 mg sodium,