Canadian Bacon Onion Quiche Recipe
For over 20 years, we sold our homegrown specialty onions at the farmers market. I handed out this favorite recipe for a classic quiche to all our customers. —Janice Redford, Cambridge, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1/2 cup 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 3 large sweet onions, sliced (about 6 cups)
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cut in 1/2 cup butter until crumbly. Gradually add cottage cheese, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge.
- 3. In large skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until golden brown. Stir in Canadian bacon, pepper and remaining salt. Remove from heat; add eggs and cheddar cheese. Pour into pastry shell.
- 4. Bake on a lower oven rack 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 349 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 144 mg cholesterol, 641 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC