Canadian Bacon Cheese Soup Recipe
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, trimmed and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. With a potato masher, mash vegetables several times. Add bacon; continue to simmer. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Add vegetable mixture, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; add cheese and pepper. Stir just until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 198 calories, 7g fat (0g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 571mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
Reviews for Canadian Bacon Cheese Soup
"We really like this soup. My daughter calls it "her soup" and asks me to make it often. Excellent recipe!"