- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, trimmed and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. With a potato masher, mash vegetables several times. Add bacon; continue to simmer. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Add vegetable mixture, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; add cheese and pepper. Stir just until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Canadian Cheese Soup in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 2000, p82
Reviews for Canadian Bacon Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 22, 2013
"We really like this soup. My daughter calls it "her soup" and asks me to make it often. Excellent recipe!"