Canadian Bacon and Cheese Biscuits Recipe
My husband and I own and operate a fishing lodge here in northwestern Ontario. We're always looking for new sandwiches to serve our guests. These have met with raves for years.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 5 slices Swiss cheese (1/8 inch thick)
- 5 thin slices red onion (about 2-1/2-in. round)
- 5 round slices fully cooked Canadian bacon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead 6-8 times. Pat or roll out to 1/4-in. thickness; cut 10 biscuits with a 2-1/2-in. floured biscuit cutter. Spread each with about 1/2 teaspoon mustard.
- Cut cheese with a 2-1/2-in. round cutter; place a slice on five of the biscuits. Top with onion and bacon. Cover with remaining biscuits, mustard side down.
- Place on a 1-in. apart on greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 15-18 minutes or until golden browned. Serve warm. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Canadian Bacon and Cheese Biscuits in Country Pork 1996, p22
Reviews for Canadian Bacon and Cheese Biscuits(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review