Can't Miss Coconut Custard Pie
This soft custard pie has a mild coconut flavor. Who wouldn't love a hearty slice topped with a dollop of whipped cream?
Betty Swain, Bear, Delaware
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup flaked coconut, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2-2/3 cups 2% milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with
- pastry; trim and flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double
- thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5
- minutes longer. Sprinkle coconut over crust; set aside. Reduce oven
- setting to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, flour, vanilla and
- salt. Pour over coconut; sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 322 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 345 mg sodium,