- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs and oil. Press two-thirds of the mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Set remaining cake mixture aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the milk, chocolate chips and butter. Microwave, uncovered, until chips and butter are melted; stir until smooth. Pour over crust.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of remaining cake mixture over top. Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Can't Leave Alone Bars
"Nothing wrong with these! Easy to make and tasty, good for a potluck. I'm not sure why some people have a problem with dough being too sticky, it wasn't like that for me at all..it was the perfect consistency and exactly the right amount... maybe they are making the cake mix like the box tells them to and then adding it to this recipe? You just add the powder, ignore the box! I used Betty Crocker white cake mix. Also, I found it was A LOT easier/cleaner/faster to melt the chocolate/butter on the stove. The microwave was a mess and doesn't evenly melt together since the butter melts so much faster than the chocolate chips."
"I honestly created an account on this website solely to complain about this recipe. There is no way it can be correct. The first step failed me twice. The cake mixture is sticky like glue and there is literally no way on earth to "press" it in to the pan, let alone a 13x9" pan! There was no way the mixture was enough to line that size pan. I've been able to salvage most baking recipes that don't turn out, but this one is a lost cause and was a total waste of money spent. I wish I could give zero stars."
"These bars have to go, mine just was awful, I will never make them again. The chocolate all went to the bottom, where did I go wrong. It is hard to get out the of pan. Down the disposable they go. Alice"
"If there was a way to give a recipe negative 5 stars I would. This is absolutely AWFUL. Tastes terrible, downright terrible!! I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out like crap. Disgusting flavor."
"Very Good! No problems, except sometimes different brands of cake mix make it turn out a bit different, but I am still trying to weed out the brands of mix I didn't like. Just be sure not to overcook, and these will fly out of the pan!"
"Does anyone know if these can be frozen??????"
"Easy and delicious!"
"awful! I followed the recipe to the tee and there wasnt enough batter to line a 13x9 pan, you almost have to double the recipe just to get enough batter. I also found there wasnt enough liquid for the batter so it was very hard and dry-i dont know what others did that i didnt do to make this a good recipe but i wouldnt make it again!"