Can't Believe It's Meatless Egg Bake Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 egg whites
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) frozen vegetarian breakfast sausage patties, thawed and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small nonstick skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, eggs and milk. Stir in hash browns, crumbled sausage, cheese, salt, pepper and onion mixture.
- 2. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 256 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 170mg cholesterol, 733mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat, 0 fat.
Reviews for Can't Believe It's Meatless Egg Bake
"This used to be such a staple, my husband got tired of it. I broke the rules by adding turkey Italian sausage, left out the onion & peppers, substituting real milk and shredded cheese. Also left out the egg whites & used 4 eggs. Kicked up the flavor by adding a tasty seasoning."