Can-Can Chicken Recipe
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken; rub spice mixture under and over skin. Tuck wings under chicken. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Prepare grill for indirect grilling. Completely cover all sides of an 8- or 9-in. baking pan with foil. Place a beer-can chicken rack in pan. Remove half of the beer from can; save for another use. Using a can opener, make additional large holes in top of can. Add beer can to rack.
- 3. Place chicken vertically onto rack. Place pan on grill rack. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°.
- 4. Remove pan from grill; tent chicken with foil. Let stand 10 minutes. Carefully remove chicken from rack. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 321 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 1,031 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 33 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.