- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer
- In a small bowl, mix the first seven ingredients. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken; rub seasoning mixture under and over skin. Tuck wings under chicken. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour.
- Completely cover all sides of an 8- or 9-in. baking pan with foil. Place a beer-can chicken rack securely in pan. Remove half of the beer from can. Using a can opener, make additional large holes in top of can; place can in rack.
- Stand chicken vertically on rack; place on grill rack. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°.
- Carefully remove pan from grill; tent chicken with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Can-Can Chicken
"Where to buy a Beer Can Roasting Rackbedbathandbeyond.com $5.99 and aboveamazon.com $6.99 and abovewalmart.com $9.99 and above"
"Pardon me rebelwithoutaclue, but there is such a thing as a beer can chicken rack. I own 2 and have given several as gifts. It is a vertical rack with a round holder built inside to hold the beer can. Beer can chicken is moist and tasty and I have cooked them on the grill and baked in a conventional oven and this is a wonderful recipe. You can buy the beer can rack for under $5 at Ace Hardware."
"A vertical Roaster does not have a beer can attachement. A VR is much more efficient than a beer can.@jcsew 25 Aug. '14 The device is called a vertical roaster. There are many on the market. I have a Stanek the last 30 years. Just google. It cuts the cooking time way down and you cook at a very high heat. So moist and juicy with crisp skin. The note said if you spray the skin you have to cook longer? Never found that to be true. When the internal temp hits 162 degrees, it is ready. Just cover with tin foil for about 10 min. Vertical roasters come in sizes that you can use for chicken, turkey and Cornish Game hens. Best invention since air condition."
"I wan to know where to find the rack?"
"I have been making this recipe for years. You can usually find the holders at Walmart in their outdoor cooking utensils and grill parts department. I have used a lot of different seasonings over the years but use paprika as my base seasoning, but I also usually spray the chicken with oil before putting it on a grill. This seems to keep the skin a little more moist. I also use a foil pan with sides to catch all of the drippings. I then toss the foil pan during clean-up. (Very easy clean-up) I have nothing but ravings for more when I make my "beer-can chicken"! Hint: I usually try not to prick the skin of the chicken while cooking so that the juices remain in the meat until it's carved for serving."
"I have tried this and WOW!"
"Where do you purchase the beer rack?"