- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 2 packages (1 ounce each) corn chips
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- In a small saucepan, heat chili. Divide corn chips between two plates; top with chili. Layer with cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, olives and sour cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Camping Haystacks
"This was so easy, tasty and fun to play around with. I used 2 cans of chili, but different brands so the flavor wasn't overwhelming and the leftover chili is frozen for another day. Thanks for the recipe!"
"My family loved this. It was tasty and fun and gluten-free. It's great for families with a lot of foot sensitivities, since each family member can skip the ingredients they can't eat. They loved putting together their own stacks. We added onions and hot sauce, and did Fritos corn chips as a special treat. We haven't used it camping yet, but are really looking forward to that next summer. Having done a lot of outdoor meals, I recognize this one as easy and fun, but with to comforting warmth (w/ the chili) often needed to fill children and teens in cool evenings while living out of doors."
"Are Haystacks a cookie or a candy?? Please reply"
"I used to eat this as a kid. If you are on a budget you can substitute sour cream for ranch dressing sitting in the fridge and skip the salsa and olives if you don't care for them as i didn't. It tastes better than this recipe to me."
"If you make this as a "Walking Taco" you can take it hiking. Just put the other ingredients inside a frito chip single serving bag."