- 1 package (28 ounces) frozen O'Brien potatoes, thawed
- 1-1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hard-cooked eggs and pico de gallo, optional
- Prepare campfire or grill for medium-high heat. Toss potatoes with 3/4 cup cheese, bacon, salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture among four 18x12-in. pieces of heavy-duty nonstick foil, placing food on dull side of foil. Fold foil around potato mixture, sealing tightly.
- Place packets over campfire or grill; cook 6-9 minutes on each side or until potatoes are tender. Open packets carefully to allow steam to escape; sprinkle with remaining cheese. If desired, serve with eggs and pico de gallo. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Campfire Cheese Hash Brown Packets
"when a recipe says with pico and there is no recipe for the pico - was totally unfair? so - tomatoes, jalopeno peppers, (use green bell peppers in place of jalopenos - less heat - but still gr8 taste) onions, lime juice and salt - mix 2gether and chill! I did do some changes to fit n2 my low sodium diet - I didn't add the salt, I used turkey bacon and i peeled and diced potatoes - cooked on stove top and served with scrambled eggs and pico on the side."
"I did not follow the recipe exactly. The bag of hashbrowns I found was 32 oz. I added more cheese than called for but did not sprinkle with cheese at the end. I also added some chopped onion (because I really like onions in potatoes) and added a little butter. These were fantastic. Very versatile and you can make adjustments/substitutions based on your tastes. Next time I would double the amount of bacon. :)"