Crispy and crunchy, this traditional, no-fuss slaw makes a refreshing side dish for summer picnics and parties. —Kim Wallace, Dennison, Ohio
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- In a small saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a
- boil; boil for 1-2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from
- the heat; cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, onion and pepper; add dressing
- and toss to coat. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve with a slotted
- Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 121 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 274 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.