- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 packages (20 ounces each) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 package (7 ounces) frozen fully cooked breakfast sausage links, thawed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add the potatoes, sausage, onion and green pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned, turning once.
- Push potato mixture to the sides of pan. Pour eggs into center of pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until eggs are completely set. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat; stir eggs into potato mixture. Top with cheese; cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Camper's Breakfast Hash
Sort By :
This was so delicious and such a quick and wasy recipe. We are the type of family to have breakfast for dinner and this meal was definitely filling enought to be able to have it for dinner. Even our picky eater loved it!
I make this recipe a lot at our house! I use smoked sausage or kielbasas, if there are some leftover corn or green beans from a previous meal I toss them in too! This is a very versatile recipe. Skip C.
I prepared this dish this morning and declared it a winner. I halved the recipe for my husband and myself. I made a few substitutions such as using 3 eggs and egg beaters equivalent to 3 eggs, turkey sausage links, and 2% sharp Cheddar cheese. It tasted delicious and no one would be the wiser with the low fat ingredients. We will definitely have this again. Here is a link to my review and photos. http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/29/p/883106/7622576.aspx#7622576
i needed to 1/2 the recipe and even over a very hot fire (yes i was actually camping and over an actual wood campfire) could not get it to not be mushy. i was using a large cast iron dutch oven.
I make this every ear when we go camping with m husbands family. It's such a good one dish breakfast and it is filling. My husband really really likes it.