Camper's Breakfast Hash Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 packages (20 ounces each) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 package (7 ounces) frozen fully cooked breakfast sausage links, thawed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, melt butter. Add the potatoes, sausage, onion and green pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned, turning once.
- 2. Push potato mixture to the sides of pan. Pour eggs into center of pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until eggs are completely set. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat; stir eggs into potato mixture. Top with cheese; cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 376 calories, 27g fat (12g saturated fat), 364mg cholesterol, 520mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein
Reviews for Camper's Breakfast Hash
"This was so delicious and such a quick and wasy recipe. We are the type of family to have breakfast for dinner and this meal was definitely filling enought to be able to have it for dinner. Even our picky eater loved it!"
"I make this recipe a lot at our house! I use smoked sausage or kielbasas, if there are some leftover corn or green beans from a previous meal I toss them in too! This is a very versatile recipe. Skip C."
"I prepared this dish this morning and declared it a winner. I halved the recipe for my husband and myself. I made a few substitutions such as using 3 eggs and egg beaters equivalent to 3 eggs, turkey sausage links, and 2% sharp Cheddar cheese. It tasted delicious and no one would be the wiser with the low fat ingredients. We will definitely have this again. Here is a link to my review and photos. http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/29/p/883106/7622576.aspx#7622576"
"i needed to 1/2 the recipe and even over a very hot fire (yes i was actually camping and over an actual wood campfire) could not get it to not be mushy. i was using a large cast iron dutch oven."
"I make this every ear when we go camping with m husbands family. It's such a good one dish breakfast and it is filling. My husband really really likes it."
"This is the kind of recipe that amounts aren't really critical - use what you have, more of what you like most, etc. Our whole family enjoys this!"
"Delicious! Great for breakfast lovers! I use one 32 ounce package of hash browns. My whole family loves this. You could change the ingredients to suit your taste... ham instead of sausage, other vegetables, etc."
"I have made this recipe its easy and oh so yummy in a early cool morning it warms your whole body .. instead of using butter I use Pam spray with butter favor ;since my husband is allergic to dairy product I dont use cheese."
"I'm looking for a recipe for Baked Imitation Crab & Glass Noodles. I had this in a Chinese resturant and can't find the recipe anywhere."
"I do this in a dutch oven over the fire. I get the potatoes that already have onion and green pepper to save chopping time. It is wonderful."
"Try Egg Beaters,turkey sausage and low fat cheese."
"I would like to see this as a make over receipe.Linda Harmon"
"You can use regular uncooked sausage just fry it up firt.Then add the rest this way you get more of the sausage falvor."
"I need to find a way to cut this in half since there are only two of us."
"12 eggs wow !!But I guess that does make a large quantity of hash. Sounds good, I'll have to try it here at home as well."