VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 boneless pork loin chops (4 ounces each)
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 1 cup chopped peeled papaya
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a small saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Pour 1 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add pork chops. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight. Pour remaining marinade into a small bowl for basting; cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, combine salsa ingredients. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill pork, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-5 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 145°, basting frequently with reserved marinade. Let meat stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with salsa. Yield: 6 servings (3 cups salsa).
Originally published as Calypso Pork Chops in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p14