Callahan Christmas Wreaths Recipe
When my family asked for good old Norwegian wreath cookies, I studied several recipes for ideas, then added my own special touches. — Cassidy Callahan, Fitchburg, Massachusetts
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:30 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Green food coloring
- Red and green candied cherries
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, orange peel and extract. Gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in half; tint one portion green with food coloring.
- 2. For each wreath, shape two 6-inch ropes using 2 teaspoons plain dough for one and 2 teaspoons green dough for the other. Place the two ropes side by side; press together lightly, then twist several times. Shape into a circle, pinching ends to seal. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 3. Cut candied cherries into small pieces and place on wreaths to decorate as desired, pressing lightly to adhere. Bake cookies 6-8 minutes or until set and bottoms are light brown.
- 4. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie (calculated without cherries) equals 125 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 26 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC