California Tamale Pie
When I serve California Tamale Pie, I know I’ll see smiles on the faces of everyone at the table. With this recipe, you’ll enjoy the taste and texture of classic tamales, without the time and hassle.
5 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: sour cream and fresh jalapeno pepper slices, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine broth and cornmeal. Let stand for 5
- minutes. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no
- longer pink; drain. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Transfer to slow
- cooker. Stir in the salsa, corn, beans and olives. Cover and cook on
- low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes longer or until
- cheese is melted. Top with sour cream and jalapeno slices if
- desired. Yield: 5 servings.