California Tamale Pie Recipe
When I serve California Tamale Pie, I know I’ll see smiles on the faces of everyone at the table. With this recipe, you’ll enjoy the taste and texture of classic tamales, without the time and hassle.
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: sour cream and fresh jalapeno pepper slices, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine broth and cornmeal. Let stand for 5 minutes. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Transfer to slow cooker. Stir in the salsa, corn, beans and olives. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Top with sour cream and jalapeno slices if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as California Tamale Pie in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2012, p15
Reviews for California Tamale Pie(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >