Back in the 1920s, my great-aunt Mable lived with her four children in an old World War I army tent. She had to be creative in her cooking, and this was one dish she relied on.
Recommended: 34 Dump Dinners for Your Slow Cooker
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Remove and set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add rice; cook and stir until golden brown. Reduce heat; stir in broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the bacon, onion, peppers and tomatoes. Cover and simmer 25-30 minutes longer or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as California-Style Spanish Rice in Country Extra July 2005, p51
Reviews for California-Style Spanish Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 15, 2012