This recipe is very easy to make and requires little attention. It goes well with any rice dish, and it's perfect for just about any occasion.
- 1 leg of lamb (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 to 5 large fresh artichokes, quartered
- Fresh lemon slices
- Cut slits in lamb; insert garlic. Rub meat with salt, pepper and oregano. Roast at 400° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; roast 1 hour more. Skim off any fat in pan; pour tomato sauce, water and lemon juice over lamb. Place artichokes around meat. Roast 1 hour longer or to desired doneness, basting occasionally with pan juices. Garnish with lemon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as California Roast Lamb in Country April/May 1992, p47
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for California Roast Lamb
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 22, 2014
"Love, love, love this recipe. I used celery and onion salts along with a lime and Marjoram as I didn't have the other ingredients to hand."
Reviewed Mar. 31, 2013
"it was juicy and delicious!!!!"