- 1 leg of lamb (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 to 5 large fresh artichokes, quartered
- Fresh lemon slices
- Cut slits in lamb; insert garlic. Rub meat with salt, pepper and oregano. Roast at 400° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; roast 1 hour more. Skim off any fat in pan; pour tomato sauce, water and lemon juice over lamb. Place artichokes around meat. Roast 1 hour longer or to desired doneness, basting occasionally with pan juices. Garnish with lemon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now
Reviews for California Roast Lamb
Sort By :
Love, love, love this recipe. I used celery and onion salts along with a lime and Marjoram as I didn't have the other ingredients to hand.
it was juicy and delicious!!!!