This recipe is very easy to make and requires little attention. It goes well with any rice dish, and it's perfect for just about any occasion.
- 1 leg of lamb (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 to 5 large fresh artichokes, quartered
- Fresh lemon slices
- Cut slits in lamb; insert garlic. Rub meat with salt, pepper and oregano. Roast at 400° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; roast 1 hour more. Skim off any fat in pan; pour tomato sauce, water and lemon juice over lamb. Place artichokes around meat. Roast 1 hour longer or to desired doneness, basting occasionally with pan juices. Garnish with lemon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as California Roast Lamb in Country April/May 1992, p47
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for California Roast Lamb
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review