I’m always changing this salad up. Here I used tomato, zucchini and olives for a Greek-inspired salad. Try adding a few more favorite fresh veggies you know your family will love. —Elizabeth Lubin, Huntington Beach, California
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and well drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup canned garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Greek olives
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add quinoa and
- garlic; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until quinoa is lightly
- browned. Stir in zucchini and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in
- remaining ingredients; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 310 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 353 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.