California Pepper Chili
In my opinion, this is the world's best chili! It features three meats in a peppery eye-opening broth. I've been a Taste of Home reader for 5 years...and I make something from my magazines almost every day.
Los Angeles, California
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 pounds pork stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded fresh serrano chili peppers
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded fresh poblano chili peppers
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded fresh jalapeno peppers
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 7 plum tomatoes, chopped
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a
- slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 3
- tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, cook the beef, pork and onions until meat is no
- longer pink; drain. Add the garlic, peppers and seasonings; cook and
- stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce