California Pepper Chili Recipe
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 pounds pork stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded fresh serrano chili peppers
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded fresh poblano chili peppers
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded fresh jalapeno peppers
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 7 plum tomatoes, chopped
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, cook the beef, pork and onions until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the garlic, peppers and seasonings; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Garnish with reserved bacon and cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for California Pepper Chili(2)
Sort By :
Very good chili recipe. I would definitely make again.
I could not find serrano peppers when I was ready to make chili so I sub'd Anaheim chili. My wife liked the pork more than the beef so the next time I made it with only pork, and it was still excellent. This warms you up without burning you now or later.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Beef Chili >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chili Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Mexican Chili >
- Mexican Chilies >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Pepper Soup >
- Pork Recipes >
- Super Bowl Party Dinners >