California Orange Muffins
There are many orange groves in this area, so I attempted to create a muffin recipe using the fruit. I think it turned out very well, and everyone who's tried it agrees with me.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 to 3 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks. Combine the orange juice, peel and extracts.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture
- alternately with juice mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold in to
- creamed mixture.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for
- 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5
- minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 322 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 285 mg sodium,