There are many orange groves in this area, so I attempted to create a muffin recipe using the fruit. I think it turned out very well, and everyone who's tried it agrees with me.
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 to 3 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Combine the orange juice, peel and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with juice mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold in to creamed mixture.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as California Orange Muffins in Country Extra July 2001, p51
Reviews for California Orange Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 6, 2013
"We added dried Cranberries and they were fantastic!"
Reviewed Jan. 16, 2010
"these muffins are delicious, my 5 yr. old granddaughter ate 3,and I could have eaten the rest. but calories do show up.Thank you for sharing this recipe."