California Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon peel and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over top of cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for California Lemon Pound Cake
Sort By :
Really good flavor! Mine burned, and I covered it and took it out 10 minutes early. Maybe my oven is too hot, or the recommended temperature is too hot. The inside is really good though. Maybe I will cut off the outside crust and ice it :)
Sound very good.
Made this cake for the first for a party it was a hit.I will add this to my regular list of go to cakes. I used butter and one stick of margarine.
This is the best cake! It was so easy to make and tasted mhmm mhmm mhmm. I added my icing while the cake was warm and it was more like a glaze. Try this tonight.
Wow - absolutely fantastic! I didn't have any lemon extract so used the juice from the lemons I used for zest, about 2-3 Tbsp. Heavily sprayed pan with baker's joy and then sugared the pan. Still had some sticking but the lemony sugar crystals that stuck were wonderful :). Didn't use the frosting and did have enough batter to make 6 regular sized cupcakes. The cake is a lighter pound cake so you may want to leave out the shortening and add another egg, as another, denser pound cake I make uses. However, it is outstanding on it's own!! Mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm!PS - did put in a cold oven at 325 as others suggested for about 70-80 minutes.