- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon peel and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over top of cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for California Lemon Pound Cake
"Great basic recipe. However,most people complain not enough lemon flavor if you have lemons, why use extract. I used half lemon juice and half milk to get a real...lemon flavor. Then still use lemon juice for icing. I grow meyer lemons and they are wonderful. Waste not want not. Thanks"
"Made this yesterday and everyone loved it! It's a perfect summer dessert with a delicate lemon flavor. Instead of icing it as indicated in the recipe, I served it with whipped cream and fresh strawberries macerated in sugar. I'm sure it would be great with the icing too! I'll definitely make this again!"
"I baked this cake in individual bundt cake pans. It was ok but not great in my opinion. I even used buttermilk. It stuck in the pans even though I sprayed it .I probablywon't make it again"
"mickiej43, shortening is a solid whereas cooking oil is a liquid. In most pound cake recipes (not all, just most) the recipe calls for a combination of butter and shortening, as it makes for a lighter cake. Both butter and shortening should be room temperature, as should all the other ingredients, including the milk. You will find this keeps the cake from falling. This is a great pound cake and you can interchange orange zest and orange juice or lime zest and lime juice to change it up. A terrific cake for Spring Summer!"
"What do you use for shortening in the recipe? Is it margarine or crisco? Thanks"