California Fried Walnuts
We grow walnuts for a living, so they go into just about everything at our house. Walnut halves made this way are crunchy, sweet and salty.—Alcy Thorne, Los Molinois, California
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups walnut halves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Oil for frying
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add walnuts; boil for 1
- minute. Drain; rinse under hot water. Meanwhile, in a large bowl,
- toss walnuts with sugar.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 350°. Fry walnuts
- for 5 minutes or until dark brown, stirring often. Drain in a
- colander over paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: 4 cups.