California Fried Walnuts Recipe
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups Diamond of California Walnut Halves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Oil for frying
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add walnuts; boil for 1 minute. Drain; rinse under hot water. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss walnuts with sugar.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 350°. Fry walnuts for 5 minutes or until dark brown, stirring often. Drain in a colander over paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 cups.
Reviews for California Fried Walnuts(6)
Sort By :
nice texture, not at all greasy after frying. my walnuts were slightly alkaline, i think i should have rinsed them a little longer.
I LOVE this recipe! I have made it for pot lucks and just to enjoy as a handy snack at home. I have had several people ask me for this recipe.
Couple of hints - I put my sugar in a large container with a lid; once I've boiled & rinsed my walnuts, I put them inside the container, seal the lid, and start shaking!
Also, I use a slotted spoon to transfer the walnuts from the container to the oil - unfortunately, I learned that trick the hard way!!!
The oil will drop in temperature when you place the walnuts in - that's normal. I use a gas stove for this every time.
Make sure you do not let the oil get more than 350. Burnt fried walnuts don't taste QUITE as good...
Another hint - after I drained the pot of water, I put paper towels in the bottom of it and placed the colander on top, so that the paper towels catch the excess oil.
Do NOT put the freshly fried walnuts straight on to the paper towels!!! You will end up with paper-covered walnuts!!!
Excellent! Used my deep fryer for 4 minutes.
These Walnuts are wonderful. The only problem with them is that you can't stop eating them. They are easy to make and are a big hit.
My Daughter-in-law first made these Walnuts out of a Taste of Home Cookbook I gave her for Christmas. Then I made them. They are the best. It is very hard not to eat them all at once. Make sure you have plenty on hand for the holidays.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizer Snack Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Easy Appetizer Recipes >
- Easy Appetizers >
- Easy Finger Foods >
- Easy Recipes >
- Father's Day Appetizers >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Nut Snacks >