- 6 egg whites
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (14 ounces) jellied cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons raspberry gelatin powder
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Fresh cranberries or raspberries for garnish, optional
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw three 8-in. circles on the paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla.
- Insert a 1/2-in. round pastry tip #A1, in a pastry bag or heavy-duty plastic bag. Fill bag with meringue. Starting in the center of each circle on prepared sheets, pipe meringue in a spiral pattern until circle is completely filled. Bake at 250° for 1 hour. Turn oven off and let meringue dry in oven for 1 hour with door closed.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt cranberry sauce over medium heat. Add gelatin powder; stir until dissolved. Cool. In a chilled large bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar; fold 1 cup into cranberry mixture.
- To assemble, place 1 tablespoon of whipped cream in the center of serving platter to hold meringue in place. Top with a meringue shell; spread one-third of the cranberry mixture on top. Repeat with remaining meringue and cranberry mixture.
- Frost sides of torte with reserved whipped cream. If desired, a pastry bag can be used to decorate edges of torte. Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight. Garnish with berries and mint just before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as California Cranberry Torte in Country December/January 1992, p47
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for California Cranberry Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review