All the fruit in this salad gives it a natural sweetness. I use whole wheat pasta for added fiber. Since I purchase cooked chicken breast at the store, I only have to cook the pasta for a healthy, delectable dinner. With minimal cooking this is great for the summer.—Regina Reynolds, Struthers, Ohio Staff, Canfield Village Middle School, Canfield, Ohio
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4-1/2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 large tart apple, chopped
- 1 cup green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 1/3 cup mandarin oranges
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 14 Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain pasta and rinse in cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir in the chicken, apple, grapes, pineapple, oranges, celery and cooked pasta. Chill until serving.
- Spoon 1/2 cup onto each lettuce leaf. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as California Chicken Salad in Taste of Home A+ Recipes from Schools Across America 2013, p172
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for California Chicken Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review