California Chicken Recipe
Since my mother went to college in California, she introduced the family to artichokes and we all became fans. My baby sister developed this recipe so we could enjoy artichokes out of season. This recipe pairs well with Gallo® Family Vineyards Barrellli Creek Cabernet Sauvignon.Taste of Home Cooking School
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut-up
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- Combine 1 tablespoon flour, salt, paprika and pepper; sprinkle over chicken. In a large skillet, heat 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat; brown chicken on all sides. Remove chicken to a large baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter in the same skillet; saute mushrooms until tender. Sprinkle remaining flour over mushrooms; cook and stir until blended. Gradually stir in broth and sherry. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Arrange artichoke hearts over chicken and top with mushroom sauce. Cover and bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as California Chicken in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Fall 2009, p56
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for California Chicken(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Artichoke Hearts >
- Artichoke Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Casseroles >
- Chicken Casserole >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Casseroles >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >