California Chicken Recipe
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut-up
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- Combine 1 tablespoon flour, salt, paprika and pepper; sprinkle over chicken. In a large skillet, heat 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat; brown chicken on all sides. Remove chicken to a large baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter in the same skillet; saute mushrooms until tender. Sprinkle remaining flour over mushrooms; cook and stir until blended. Gradually stir in broth and sherry. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Arrange artichoke hearts over chicken and top with mushroom sauce. Cover and bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for California Chicken
Sort By :
I thought this was great
Easy to cook and the mushrooms give a nice rich and savory flavor to the sauce. I used self rising flour which made the crust on the chicken a bit crispier.
More Recipe Collections
- Artichoke Hearts >
- Artichoke Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Casseroles >
- Chicken Casserole >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Casseroles >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >