Calico Squash Casserole Recipe
- 2 cups sliced yellow summer squash (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup sliced zucchini (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until squash is tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- 2. Combine crumbs and butter; spoon half into a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the soup, water chestnuts, carrot, mayonnaise, pimientos, sage, pepper and remaining salt; fold in squash mixture. Spoon over crumbs.
- 3. Sprinkle with cheese and the remaining crumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 439 calories, 34g fat (13g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1055mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Calico Squash Casserole
"Great summer recipe. I will make this again. Even the meat lovers loved it."
"I have made this recipe for several summers. It is delicious! I think I started just using green onions rather than both, though. But it's delicious whichever way!"
"Very good. I left out the water chestnuts because I don't like them, but otherwise followed the recipe. Will definitely make this again."
"This is a delicious casserole. I used Stove Top Stuffing instead of the crackers and mozzarella cheese instead of the cheddar. I usually try to cut calories when possible, so I used a light mayonnaise. Next time, I'll reduce the butter too. My husband loved it."
"I took this to a potluck and it was gone quickly. Very good."
"WOW! So much more than I expected. We WILL make it again. . .and again. . It is a well rounded veggie recipe. I'll cut back on the onions next time but that's all."
"This is a great recipe for those who have kids that don't like squash. The water chestnuts give it an extra crunchy texture."
"I have made this recipe countless times. My husband raves every time. This is our favorite way to eat zucchini and yellow squash."
"This one beats out the traditional Squash Casserole, although very tasty, "by a mile".Laura T."
"This has become a family favorite. It has replaced the green bean casserole for Thanksgiving dinner. My husband is not a fan of vegetables and he still likes this recipe -- alot."
"Loved it! I'm thinking about adding French Fried Onion to it next time."