Calico Cranberry Couscous Salad Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork; cool.
- 2. In a serving bowl, combine the couscous, cranberries, celery, carrot, onions and almonds.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Yield: 6 servings.
1/2 cup: 171 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Calico Cranberry Couscous Salad
"Wish I had found this recipe sooner! Made it for lunch today and every spoonful is gone; next time (which will be soon) I will double it. It has lots to love - visual appeal, texture, crunch, a hint of sweet and a hint of tart - overall very good. My daughter suggested we try using quinoa in place of the couscous to increase the nutrition; I will probably try that - but it's sooo good as is! And think I'll try the dressing on greens too."
"I've made this several times over the years. Tastes as good as it looks."
"This is an absolute favorite!"
"LOVE this recipe. I did add a pinch of sugar to the dressing. And I like to use pomegranate seeds along with or instead of the cranberries. Wonderful!"
"This recipe is delicious. Many people have asked for the recipe. It is different tasting from the standbys and a nice change. Thunder Bay, ONtario"
"This was one of those recipes I saw in the magazine years ago and thought the combination of ingredients was so bizarre I just had to try it. Well I'm glad I did, because it's been a staple at our house ever since. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this salad!"
"This was great, just a tad too much vinegar though. So I added a little more mustard. Next time we will know ahead of time to have less vinegar. This makes a real quick meal!"
"This is a staple in our house. I've been making it for at least 4 years! LOVE IT!I feed it to kids all the time."
"NOT kid friendly...and we LOVE couscous! I will never make this again and would recommend you trying it yourself before ever serving it to company. I might like it without the dressing?"