Calico Corn Cakes
Served with salsa on the side, these fluffy corn cakes from our Test Kitchan make a fantastic side for nearly any main dish, especially those with Southwestern flair. Try serving them with sour cream on the side for a little extra kick.
3-4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 1/2 cup salsa
- In a small skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender;
- set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt,
- oregano, baking powder, cumin, egg and milk just until combined.
- Fold in the corn, pimientos and onion mixture.
- Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray; drop batter by 1/4
- cupfuls into skillet. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until
- golden brown. Serve with salsa. Yield: 3 servings.