- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 1/2 cup salsa
- In a small skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, oregano, baking powder, cumin, egg and milk just until combined. Fold in the corn, pimientos and onion mixture.
- Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray; drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into skillet. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with salsa. Yield: 3 servings.
Reviews for Calico Corn Cakes
"These were a super hit with my family. I made a mistake in making them, by not cooking the veggies first, but they loved it still. It was very tasty and will be making them again."
"When I said it sounds wonderful, I had been reading posts where other folks improvised some of their own ingredients. I am glad this is a flexible recipe. The original way is the way I tried it and loved it. But now I want to add other ingredients to it, too. "
"sounds wonderful! Can't wait to try it again."
"I thought I'd try something a little different. Tasty and I love the color! Goes great with sour cream. The batter didn't go quite as far as I had hoped, next time I will double the recipe."
"LOVED these! I left out the green peppers by preference. The flavor was amazing and we will definitely make again!"